Appreciating Indian Classical Music: Classical | Contemporary | Continuum
Master Class, 90 mins
Widely regarded as one of the finest art forms in the world, Indian Classical Music is a performing arts tradition filled with subtle nuances and intricate complexities. Understanding the fascinating traditions and facets associated with this unique art-form requires sensitivity, skill and knowledge. Royal Opera House, Mumbai and Avid Learning present an absorbing live session – led by Co-Founder, ArtLinks Learning Sadhana Rao – which will help you develop your ear for this immersive art-form. This program will be presented as a part of a virtual week #MusicAppreciationWeek: Celebrating the Enduring Legacies, Traditions and Cultures of Indian Music will take a closer look at Indian Music through the ages and its significant influences on various genres, styles and personalities in the sphere of Western Music.
· Introduction to Indian Classical Music – Origins, history and legacy + associated cultures and traditions spanning millennia
· Evolution and spread of the art-form across generations
· Various genres and the unique features of each – Folk, Carnatic and Hindustani
· Musical Elements – Raags and Taals + Sonic Landscape of ‘Swar’ and ‘Sur’
· Musical Expressions – Vocal and Instrumental
· Practitioners and Artists – How their identities shape and influence their craft
· Symbiotic relationship between music, artiste and audience
· Blending of Classical and Popular Music – Illustrative examples from Indian Film Music
· Contemporizing the art form – Innovations in recording and technology
· Tips on how to build an ear and appreciation for Indian Classical Music
Join us to learn more about the defining musical aspects and multi-layered artistic and cultural traditions associated with Indian Classical Music!